Sunday 30 September 2018

Feathery fabric

I've mentioned before that as well as fabrics on the roll, my local fabric shop also sells remnants by weight. They are folded up in bins according to fabric type, and the 'craft cottons' section in particular has been responsible for a lot of my clothes over the years.

The last time I was in there, one of the staff (it will surprise no-one to learn that I know all the staff there!) pointed out a large remnant in the 'wool mix' section. It was an attractive raspberry/heather-ish colour, but nothing remarkable except that it was machine-stitched into 2" squares.

Move along please, nothing to see here

Once turned over, the reason for the stitching becomes clear. It is backed with black organza, and trapped between the two layers is a scattering of pink feathers.

Feathery!

I loved it, so it has been added to the stash. I had already decided that it would be perfect for a coat, as it is in effect self-lining. But it would need to be a simple coat, with minimal shaping, preferably no facings, and definitely no shoulder padding. Then I remembered that I have this.


Simple shape, and no facings

I think I may have found the perfect match!

No comments:

Post a Comment