Just to explain, the name of the pattern came about when I decided to make a dress based on the one my mum is wearing (made either by her or her mum) in a photograph taken during World War II. In keeping with the original, I then decided to try to make the dress in line with the Civilian Clothing Regulations (CC41) in place at the time.
|The inspiration - Mum is second from the left
I made a couple of changes to the pattern this time, to fix things which were annoying me; although obviously not annoying me that much, as I’ve happily worn the original for four summers! I made the bodice front a tiny bit longer at the centre, just between the darts, and I improved the fit of the skirt back by using the technique I applied to Simplicity 1777, namely putting two darts on each side. I also lengthened the skirt a bit. What I forgot to do was take any progress pictures.
The fabric featured in the original Collage of Shame back in January 2016, and I’d had it for a long time then. The small print makes it perfect for a 1940s dress, as it doesn’t waste fabric in matching up patterns. I flew in the face of the CC41 regulations however, and added trim to the collar and sleeves in the form of ric-rac. I could have just machine stitched it down the centre, but I don’t like the way the sides curl up if you do that, so instead I hand sewed it in place, loop by loop. I was especially pleased with the mitred corners in the collar. I cheated with the shoulder pads however, and used modern bought ones instead of making my own.
|Ric-rac round the collar
The dress fastens with four buttons on the front, complete with hand sewn buttonholes, and a period-appropriate side placket with press studs (snaps) and a hook and loop at the waist seam - zips were forbidden under the CC41 regulations. There is an in-seam pocket on the other side.
|Pockets are always good
Although I started this dress in July, for some reason it's taken until now to finish it. I did manage to wear it this weekend, though - and it's always good to have an almost unworn summer dress in the wardrobe ready to pull out when the warmer weather comes round again.
|At last! A successful project!