Sunday, 4 October 2026

The replacement

My first Close to You shawl wasn't a complete success. The yarn was lovely, and the pattern simple but effective - but the end result just didn't feel 'me'. My loss was my friend F's gain however; it was far more her palette than mine, so I gave it to her, and she adores it.

My second attempt was far better. I love the painterly colours of the yarn, and the beads add something extra to the border. The Corriedale/mohair yarn is very different from the merino/yak mix of the first shawl though, and a non-fluffy version of Close to You remained, vaguely, on my to-do list.

So when I went back to Edinburgh in the summer of course my trip included a visit to Kathy's Knits, and of course I came out with wool. All of Kathy's stock is sourced from small, independent farms and producers from within the British Isles with, naturally, an emphasis on Scottish producers. I bought one skein of lace yarn from Ripple Crafts, and this.

Front and back of the skein from Abercairn Yarns

It's the same 4ply BFL/silk yarn that I used as the main colour of my Lothian shawl, this time in shade Glen Gyle, and the colours feel like a skein custom-dyed to my exact specifications: a blue base, with an assortment of rich, jewel-like hues thrown in. Plus, the silk content gives it all an extra lustre.

Knitted up

It was the perfect yarn for a new Close to You, and I cast it on a few weeks ago. The yarn is a joy to work with, and one of my favourite things working with it is seeing the range of colours in the stitches on the needle.

A pool of blue, then lots of different colours

I love the variations

Abercairn Yarns is based in the Scottish Highlands, and I was intrigued by the shade name - is there actually a Glen Gyle? There is, almost. Glengyle Water flows into Loch Katrine in Stirlingshire.

Loch Katrine and Glengyle

The 100g skein is undoubtedly generous, so I'm expecting to get at least one extra pattern repeat out of it. It's going to be a while before I have a finished shawl to post about, but I can already tell that the end result is going to get a lot of wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment