Sunday 31 March 2024

Spring in Vogue patterns

In a development which will surprise no-one (apart from me, apparently) the sewn piece which I am making for my coursework is taking longer than anticipated! The submission date is fast approaching, so it's another mostly pictures piece for the blog.

Because it's Easter, and also still (just) March, I'm looking at this issue of Vogue Pattern Book.

February/March 1957

There's a lot about what colours are 'in' this spring, and a handy chart on what to wear with them.

Your pressing glove colour questions answered (click to enlarge)

Several of the colours appear in this feature on things to make for spring.

Grey

I thought that the dress on the left looked familiar. Sure enough, it's this.

9025 reissued as 1044

'Copper' seems to cover quite a range, with the third item on the left looking rather like my recent fabric purchase. According to the chart, amber is suitable jewellery to go with this colour range, so the earrings I bought pass muster with Vogue!

Copper

Blue is suitable for any season of any year, as far as I'm concerned!

Blue

Which is not something I can say for this colour.

Beige

Salad greens do not appear in this feature, just as a small part of one on what fabrics to buy.

Salad greens

On to Easter brides, and Vogue recommends wedding dresses which can "double as a ball gown later".

These would always look like wedding dresses to me . . .

. . . especially if made in "stiff white faille" as suggested

On to trousseau suggestions, and another familiar pattern.

1084, originally issued as Special Design 4737

The housegown (main photograph) is described as being for "early-morning glamour". I can safely say that 'early morning' and 'glamour' have never gone together in my world, not even on my honeymoon!

Trousseau suggestions

Speaking of honeymoons.

Lovely, but a honeymoon with a lot of ironing?

Finally, for spring, the latest Vogue Paris Originals.

Grés, Heim and Dessès

Lanvin-Castello, Griffe, Fath and Patou

Of the original eight designers, only Heim and Fath remain. The House of Fath closed in 1957, three years after the death of its founder, so this may be the last Fath pattern to appear in the Paris Originals. Perhaps aware of this, in this issue Vogue has added Mme. Grés to their list of Paris designers for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment