Sunday 18 February 2024

Solving a round problem

Because I don't want to start two posts in a row with pictures of balls of wool

Until now, all of my knitting has been from big-brand yarns in commercially wound 'balls'. Which I now understand were actually skeins, or possibly some cakes. Either way, the crucial thing was that they stayed where they were placed, and did not move around.

Not so the yarn I'm using for my Dahlia shawl. Wound from a hank into a firm ball, it wobbles precariously wherever it's put, and takes any opportunity to fall to the floor, where it gleefully rolls off in whichever direction will give it the furthest distance to travel before it hits an obstacle. At which point I have to put down my needles - not a good idea when you're partway through a row of a lace pattern - retrieve it, remove any debris it has acquired on its jaunt, and wind it back up. And curse (optional).

One of these things is not like the others

Clearly something needed to be done. I know that some people use yarn bowls, but somehow the idea didn't appeal. I usually take my knitting when I go to my mum's, and if I ever reach the stage of taking this project (lace knitting and conversation is currently beyond me) it would be an extra thing to carry round. I wanted something which I could put in my project bag when not in use, and eventually came up with an idea.

As this one was really a prototype, I made it a size to accommodate the wool I'm currently using. The fabric I used was all from stash - one of several fat quarters I've bought 'because they were pretty', and leftovers from the lining of my Ottoman coat. I cut out a piece approximately 40cm / 16" square from each.

The fabrics go really well together

Then I cut out five pieces of cardboard 10cm / 2" square, sandwiched one centrally between the two fabrics, and sewed around it. I added a second row of sewing ⅛" out, to create a 'hinge'.

The first piece of card sewn in place

Next I extended the black lines shown in the picture above and sewed along them to create pockets for the other four pieces of card.

Checking the fit of the other card pieces

For the band, I cut a piece of elastic long enough to wrap around the four sides of the box, with no overlap. I cut fabric a couple of centimetres longer, to allow for some stretch, and sewed this round the elastic. Then I butted the two ends of the band together, sewed it into a loop, and attached the loop to the outer layer of fabric. I covered the join with a motif cut from the remaining fabric.

Attaching the band to the main piece

I drew curves round the corners, slotted the four card squares into the pockets, folded the edges of both fabrics over (making the inner slightly smaller), cut away the excess, and slip-stitched the two sides together.

The completed piece, outside . . .

. . . and inside

And that was it. The four sides fold up and are held in place with the band, and the wool ball fits inside.

The completed container

The excess fabric at the corners stops the ball from coming out of the box, even if it's knocked over (I've tested this!), and the ball simply unrolls in place when the yarn is pulled.

The view from above

The hinge around the base allows the box to be folded up when not in use.

It's very flexible to fold

And even folds up completely

In short, it works exactly as I had hoped, and I'm really pleased with it. And the fact that it's another all-stash make just adds to the satisfaction.

2 comments:

  1. Very neat! Fwiw, if you end up knitting a lot, you may want to invest in a swift and ball winder. The winder "cakes" yarn from hanks and saves possible winding disasters. The swift allows you to put the hank on something wide that spins. I've also used my winder to rewind balls that came from the company wound badly or whatever (there is always that one ball that pulls horribly from the center).

    I will also say that a lot of "nicer" brands of yarn come in hanks and the more I've knitted, the more I realize that sometimes it is better to get the nicer yarn as it wears better over time. (Although not always; my Quince and Co. sweaters tend to pill more easily than some of the sturdier yarns I've worked with)

    That said, I should add that Jamieson and Smith 2-ply jumper weight comes prewound and is very sturdy, and I'm currently loving the Wool of the Andes/Palette line from KnitPicks, which is very affordable and also comes prewound. Both seem to wear like iron. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Juliana, and the suggestions. When I started knitting I didn't want to use anything too expensive, as I had no confidence in my abilities. I'm slowly getting to the stage where I feel that I could 'risk' good wool. I'm fortunate to have a very good knitting supplier (Laughing Hens) near where I live, and feel a trip out there coming on.

      Delete