Monday 5 July 2021

'Follow by email' is no more

So long, farewell, etc. etc.

As readers who have their own blogs on Blogger will know, the 'FollowBy Email' option is being removed shortly. This means that if you have signed up to automatically receive new Black Tulip posts in your inbox, they will stop arriving some time this month. I will still be posting every Sunday, but the posts will only appear on the blog itself. So far, I've not been able to find anything in the blogosphere which would provide an alternative email service. If and when something comes up, I'll announce it here. And if you're a fellow Blogger user and have found an alternative, please let me know.

Sadly however, it looks as though this is yet another element of the general move away from blogs and the written word towards more image-based platforms - just don't expect to find me on TikTok any time soon (and by 'soon', I mean 'ever')!

7 comments:

  1. Facebook has its place, but a blog is so much nicer for a proper read rather than just a skim. Put anything long on FB and it'll likely get ignored, even if it is a sewing post. Plus a blog you can go back to later as long as it's still hosted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Rachelle - there have been times when I've gone back to my own blog posts to remind myself how I did something!

      Delete
  2. I use Feedly all the time, subscribing to blogs there, and then it gives you the list of new posts each time you log in...very handy. That's how I saw this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip, Anna, I'll investigate Feedly.

      Delete
  3. Blogs and FB fill different niches for me. I'm with Rachelle, the blog lets you read something with more detail. FB is a quick update or announcement in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I think that especially for something creative, a blog enables to look at the details and really understand how it was made.

      Delete
  4. Indeed, although sadly fewer and fewer people seem to be maintaining their blogs these days.

    ReplyDelete