I posted about making the block and the hat here, this post is all about the trimmings.
This was the reason for wanting to use a rust-coloured hood for the hat.
|Half-made cockade of folded ribbons|
I'd made this on the Ribbon Cockades course at Hat Works ages ago, but had never done anything more with it. But as soon as I saw the hoods, I knew that this would be the perfect trim. I had a little of both shades of petersham ribbon left, so made up a few more sections. I also found some tan-coloured petersham in the museum shop, which I used for both the hat band and covering the centre of the cockade.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to curve the hat band tightly enough to fit round the crown, so had to add some (entirely decorative, obviously) pleats at the front. Looking at the photographs now, I can see that it also needs a little light dampening to shrink the top edge.
|The completed cockade, attached to the hat|
The finishing touch was the veiling. I knew that I had some some spotted veiling of exactly the right shade in my stash. I think that it came from the old Barnett Lawson (the days when you could hunt around in the back of the shop) - sadly they no longer sell this colour. It's beautifully soft as well, and drapes perfectly.
Several of the hats in my inspiration image had full veils, but I decided just to add a small one at the front.
|1940s hats with veils and without|
Even this provides several options for how to wear it. It can be pulled down over the face . . .
|Showing the full veil|
|It's easier to see through than this photograph suggests!|
Bunched up on the brim . . .
|Bunched up with a slight overhang . . .|
|. . . or bunched up completely|
Or it can be folded round the brim, and the excess tucked under the crown.
|Wrapped round the brim|
|Possibly my favourite|
Whichever way, I'm thrilled with the end result. Now I just need a dress to go with it!