Sunday 14 June 2015

Behind the scenes, at home and away.

Months ago, when I posted about the Georgians exhibition at the Fashion Museum in Bath, I meant to write a follow-up piece about the main costume display. Well time passed, and other things came up, and it never got written. So finally, here it is.

Poster for the Fashion Museum - another dress I want to make!

Note: because a) flash photography is not permitted, b) I didn’t have a tripod with me and c) I’m hopeless at standing completely still while taking photographs, most of the images are less crisp than I’d normally post. Apologies, and if anyone has any tips about avoiding camera shake, I’d love to hear them!

The display covers one hundred years of fashion, from Regency to Edwardian. It is displayed in 10 cases, approximately one for each decade. For each case there is information about the fashions of the period, a quote from a novel of the time, and a focus on a particular type of accessory.

White muslin in the 1800s case

And white cotton in the 1910s case

The museum also holds a number of Lady Mary Curzon’s Worth dresses, including the “Oak Leaf” dress. This is no longer on display, and has been replaced with the white satin "Orchid" dress.

The Orchid dress and part of its 14' train

Train detail

Bodice close-up

Click here for more details of the Orchid dress.

Although each case is lined with period-appropriate wallpaper, the theme of this section of the museum is “Behind the Scenes”, and the displays are set out like the museum stores.

Wallpaper in the 1820s and 1830s case, image © Fashion Museum, Bath

Boxes in the 1840s to 1860s case, image © Fashion Museum, Bath

The displays were changed in January this year, and some of the items on display have been changed. The “Behind the Scenes” element has also changed; shelving has been removed, and replaced by more boxes.

The previous 1870s display

As well as the cardboard boxes, I was amazed to see plastic boxes in use. I was even more amazed because they were exactly the same boxes that I use in my workroom. So while what I produce is certainly not of museum standard, at least I can say that I have something in common with the Bath Costume Museum!

Hats stored in plastic boxes, image © Fashion Museum, Bath

1880s dress, and more boxes, image © Fashion Museum, Bath

"Behind the Scenes" in my workroom

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to have been able to see this exhibit!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I am sort of jealous of all the museum things you get to partake of!!! But thank you so much for sharing the pictures! You rock!!!

    Also, I would like to pass this award on to you!

    http://beauty4ashes7.blogspot.com/2015/06/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! I live in a relatively small country (well, small compared to yours!), so a lot of things are reasonably close for me to visit. The main thing though is that I'm aware that a lot of people who read these posts will never have the opportunity to see these museums or exhibitions, so I like to share them if I can.

      Delete