Friday 18 May 2012

1911 corset - p.s.

I just couldn't leave well alone. When I was editing the photographs of my 1911 corset, I noticed that one of the bones had moved up its boning channel, and was now sticking out at an ungainly angle. I could have just pushed it back into place but no, having noticed it, it had to be fixed properly.

The offending bone

I'm not sure why the sew-along suggested only flossing at the bottom of each bone. Corsets are normally flossed at both the top and bottom, as shown in this example, photographed on the Foundations Revealed visit to the Symington Collection last year.

1900 corset for sports wear, with machine flossing top and bottom, (c) Leicestershire County Council Museums Service; Symington Collection

I felt that flossing the tops of the bones in the same mixture of dark pink threads that I had used at the bottom would look too heavy so close to the trim, so instead I worked with the palest of the pinks, combined with several strands of white floss.

The completed top flossing

I also reversed the direction of the stitches, as I felt that this gave a more balanced effect.

Different directions, top and bottom


Finally, writing a second post about this project allows me to include a couple more photographs of the (now completely) finished item.

Back view
Inside view, showing the boning channels and waist stay

No comments:

Post a Comment