Sunday 1 September 2024

Morecambe again

This weekend I went up to Morecambe, to go to the Vintage by the Sea festival. I travelled up on Friday, which among other things meant that I got to see the vintage car display first thing on Saturday morning, before there were people about. The effect was like standing outside the Midland Hotel in the 1950s.

Early morning

The festival was wonderful, and far bigger than when I last went in 2018. Despite this, I bought very little. I tried a few items on, but they were all too small for me. But as I was very happily wearing another of the dresses that I bought from Fantouche Vintage in June, I didn't feel at all deprived!

I really can't take selfies!

What I did buy should come as no surprise to anyone. Most of the vendors were selling clothing or homewares, but I managed to add to my stock of old Style patterns.

From the unprinted patterns era

The same vendor also had knitting patterns, and I found some splendid examples which I think are from the 1930s and 1940s.

Knitting pattern haul

The instructions for all of them are terrifyingly brief, just the inside two sides of the leaflet. The back of the Greenock pattern is all about the brand.

Wool and knitted goods

Lister and Patons meanwhile use the back to show other patterns in the range.

Lister has men's and children's patterns

Patons is all women's

The festival wasn't just shopping, there were lots of displays and workshops as well. When I first started wearing vintage in the 1980s, it was all 1950s and occasional 1940s pieces, i.e. 30 to 40 years old. Obviously, time has moved on from then, but it's still a bit of a shock to see something like this.

The 1980s is now vintage!

Going much further back into the past, an unexpected treat was being able to go into the Winter Gardens, originally opened in 1897. When it was 'modernised' in the 1930s, many of its original features were simply boarded over rather than ripped out. Now a group of dedicated volunteers has saved this stunning building from dereliction, and it is slowly being restored to its former glory. It has always been closed and looking very sad when I have been in Morecambe previously, and it was a joy to see it coming back to life. Sadly, I didn't have time to do the full tour, but I will definitely do so on a future visit.

The ornate entrance

One of the two ticket booths

Stairs to the upper levels

One of the tiled panels in the entrance

Boxes in the auditorium

I may not have bought much at the festival, but that doesn't mean I came home empty handed. On the Friday afternoon I took a stroll along the front, and unexpectedly came across an actual, bricks and mortar, fabric shop! As well as fabrics on the roll there were lots of remnants, including one which I recognised as Peter Horton cotton lawn - the same as this recent purchase. It's a beautiful quality fabric, in exactly my colours, and it was at a discount as well!

Impossible to resist

Naturally, I bought it. I'm thinking of using it with the dress pattern I bought, for a truly Morecambe dress. Not this year, but perhaps in time for next year's festival?

Yes it's gone up, no I don't care

2 comments:

  1. The Peter Horton print is really pretty and unusual. No wonder you purchased it.

    As for the 1980s being vintage, oh my. And we thought ourselves so very modern and 1960s referencing. I remember wearing a British mini skirt and shockingly bright top for the first time at my school in the U.S., after having returned from studying in London, and being stared and whispered at in the cafeteria, as everyone else was "preppy" in mid-calf skirts and lenny loafers.
    Ha!
    Very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, time has a nasty habit of passing. One vendor had a whole rail of 1980s knitwear - the horror!

      Delete