Sunday 26 May 2024

More adventures in knitting

I have started a new knitting project.

New pattern!

If the yarn looks familiar, that's because it's the leftovers from my blue Wondrella - out of an abundance of caution I had bought far too much. My original plan was to use it up on this project, but then I decided that it was time to work with some better quality wool. This was duly swatched but, when I came to cast on, I had a crisis of confidence about my ability to do it justice. So, I reverted to plan A.

The pattern is Confidette byTasha of Tasha Could Make That. Like Wondrella, it's a design which I could happily have in several colourways, so that pure merino will get used at some point - once I know what I’m doing.

Confidette is a top-down knit, which is perfect for someone like me who has to shorten the torso of any sewing or knitting pattern. It came out some time before Wondrella, but I was put off by the fact that it uses short rows to shape the shoulders. Fortunately, Tasha has recently added an excellent video on short row shaping to her YouTube channel (you can watch it here), and once I watched that, I discovered that it was less scary than I had imagined.

Even so, I still managed to end up with an extra stitch somewhere on my first attempt, and had to frog the whole thing. Possibly trying a new technique late at night wasn't the best idea! A second attempt the next morning went far better. I'm fascinated by the shaping it produces, and the fact that it's barely visible. (One of the things which I'm loving about knitting is that it's all new to me. Sewing is my first love, and always will be my 'thing', but there's no denying that having made my own clothes for over 40 years, I'm fairly familiar with most of what's involved.)

The curved edge is like magic to me

I bought a paler blue for the contrast edging, but it will be some time before I need it.

Even more blue

So for now, it's on with knitting the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment