Sunday 29 October 2023

More fabric shopping

When I was writing last week's post, I realised that there was a fabric purchase in there which hadn't been added to the Stashometer! Tsk, tsk. Time to rectify this.

It is at least a fabric which was bought for a specific project, rather than in the, 'just because it looks pretty' camp (which happens more often than it should). About a year ago, I posted about finally getting hold of McCall's 9155, a 1984 Laura Ashley pattern which I had previously owned and disposed of.

My version had white text on a dark green background

I fancied making this up in baby needlecord, as I had made one of my 1980s versions in this fabric, and it worked really well. However, I just couldn't find any in a colour that I liked. Most available options were in pale or muted colours, which just aren't me. But then I spotted this bold print/fine wale cord in the remnants bin in my local fabric store.

Big print, small cords

It's perfect, but for a couple of issues. First up is the quantity. 1980s clothing erred on the looser side than I would want to wear now, so although I will need to enlarge the pattern, it's probably not by a full size. According to the pattern envelope, I should just about have enough yardage. However, it's in two separate remnants. It's fortunate that I enjoy pattern tetris, as I think there's going to be a lot involved.

Another 4.3m added

The other thing is that the finished article will have to be washed separately, probably forever. I'm used to some dye-run when I pre-wash fabrics, but not this much!

I did consider trying to dye something in this!

I know that pre-washing is a divisive topic, but this shows why I am firmly Team Wash. Despite all this, I'm looking forward to having a version of this dress in my wardrobe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment