Sunday 9 July 2017

Giving up on green?

Sometimes you just have to admit defeat. After a cooling-off period in the back of the wardrobe I took a fresh look at Simplicity 1587, aka the Dress of Extreme Frumpiness. Sadly the dress-improving fairy had not paid a visit in the meantime. I rarely regard something as beyond saving, but in this case . . .

Then we actually had some hot weather, so I decided to wear the Blackbird Dress (New Look 6723). And discovered something which I somehow hadn't noticed last year - namely that the bodice centre front is weirdly wide, so the princess seams are nowhere close to where they should be, and the fit is just generally off.

This left me a) with a lack of green dresses in my wardrobe and b) in need of a simple sewing project. So when I found some mid-weight green and white cotton at 70% off in my local fabric shop, I decided to remake a favourite pattern; New Look 6093. What could possibly go wrong?

Easy!

I made this three (blimey! that long?) years ago in a fine cotton poplin in yellows, browns and greens. I liked the end result so much that I made it again in a blue poplin of a similar weight -  and forgot to blog about it. Both dresses have had a lot of wear since, and the only problem with them is that the neckline is rather lower than I usually wear. So this time I raised it. Only by 1½cm / ⅝", but I'm far more comfortable with the end result.

For now unfortunately that's about the only thing I'm comfortable with. The skirt panels are cut on the bias (see view B of the pattern envelope above), and in the slightly stiffer cotton they just don't hang that well. In fact, the whole dress feels a bit stiff. I'm hopeful that once it has been through the wash a few times it will look better, but at present it's a(nother) one to just wear around the house. Which is a shame, as it goes perfectly with my green shoes and hat.

Slightly sticky-out skirt . . .

The jury is also out on the sleeves. I think that they are slightly too long, but at least that is easily fixed.

. . . and slightly too long sleeves

But I'm beginning to wonder what it is with me and green. That's three dresses with various issues, and the 'Meh' skirt also has green in it. Perhaps I should just never make anything green again!

4 comments:

  1. I guess we're both having issues with stiff fabric! It looks lovely but, yes it would probably look better in a more draping fabric. Those shoes though are amazing!! Where are they from? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are a Miss L Fire pair that I've had for years. This is the annoying thing; I keep trying to make a dress to go with them, so that I can wear them more, and it never works out! xx

      Delete
  2. I think your dress looks great on you! You can't tell by the picture that it's stiff, but I know that feeling of "this dress feels uncomfortable so it's not my favorite". But you have to make green again! It's a fabulous color!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! I've made dresses in the past which were greatly improved by a couple of runs through the washing machine, so I'm hoping it's just a case of grin and bear it until this one gets better as well.

      Delete