Sunday 9 January 2022

2022 plans

"Hope Springs Eternal" and all that. Despite, and/or because of, last year's dismal showing on the UseNine front, I have decided to simply roll the unused five fabrics (one is part-done, and will appear on the blog shortly) forward to this year.

My (woeful) total for last year

One big difference for this year is that because I have specific patterns in mind for eight of my nine choices, I'm changing over to MakeNine.

Some old, some new

So, going from top left to bottom right.

When I featured this exuberant printed cotton last January, I wasn't sure what to make with it. Over the summer I settled on Butterick 5556, a reissue of a 1955 pattern. Unfortunately, Life got in the way before I could start.

Pattern choice made

This fabric, and the pattern to go with it, have appeared on the blog before. Waaaay back, in October 2014! I've thought about making the coat more or less annually, but have always been put off by the fact that I would have to shorten the bodice on nine pattern pieces (five for the lining and front facing, four for the outer coat). Now I have the additional thrill of needing to do a bust adjustment on the five front pieces, but nonetheless have decided that the time has finally come. I'm making view B, but without the braid on the sleeves. (Also, I don't imagine I'll be wearing it with a chunky polo-neck jumper, as I'm not planning to audition for a remake of The Cruel Sea any time soon!)

Coats! A new challenge for a new year

The next two, printed florals in viscose and cotton, are carry-overs from last year.

Familiar faces

The first of the year's two entirely new fabrics is my 'wild card' of bunch. I made the mistake of 'just popping in' to my local fabric shop's sale - and this remnant mysteriously fell into my basket! It's a woven cotton, quite thick but not brushed. I don't know what I'm going to make from it yet; it depends what I can eke out of 2.8m and pattern match the checks, but it's a good match for this vintage belt clasp which I've had for ages.

Showing the back and the front of the belt clasp

Bought on the same trip, but with a pattern in mind, this viscose twill is a perfect ditsy floral for a 1940s style.

Yet another Style pattern

Another two carry-overs. Hopefully it will be third time lucky for this pink floral crepe, which has been on my 'to make' list since 2020!

More familiar faces

Finally, this true vintage printed cotton featured on the blog last August, along with the pattern, thread, and zip which the original owner had planned to use to make it up. Unfortunately, the fabric is printed quite noticeably off-grain. Therefore I think that this pattern, with its bias-cut bodice, might be a better bet. Judging from the numbers, 1479 for the original and 1374 for the possible replacement, the two patterns are from the same era.

Plan B for this gorgeous 60s cotton

As ever, I wondered what to do with the Stashometer. Just rolling all unused fabric into The Stash feels like cheating, so instead I have carried over the unused 2020 purchases, and the 2021 purchase I plan to use in MakeNine2022. Plus, I've added my two new acquisitions.

Starting the year over 23m in the red!

Given my dismal showing on last year's UseNine, this should be more than enough to keep me busy. But, this year's challenges for the Historical Sew Monthly have been announced, and I really want to get back into historical sewing this year. I have Plans, let's see if they come to fruition.

Because I haven't got enough to do already

2 comments:

  1. I love both of those floral printed cottons! (Esp. the first one). I always find it so helpful to pair specific patterns with fabric--I look forward to seeing your finished makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm hoping that actual patterns will prompt some actual activity!

      Delete