Sunday 15 July 2018

I shouldn't have, but I did

Just a short post this week, not least because I've been out for much of the day at Fine Tuned, a vintage and independent makers' festival in Liverpool. I only discovered last night that it was on this weekend, so this involved a last-minute change of plans. Earlier in the week though I did something else unplanned, which I really, really shouldn't have done.

Yes, I bought more fabric.

I already have a lot of fabric. I've also currently got not one but two dressmaking projects on the go. And there's the teensy, weensy matter of a 28,000-word dissertation to be handed in at the start of October.

I only went into the shop to buy some more thread for one of the current projects, but naturally thought I'd have a quick browse. Anyone who is familiar with my makes will know that I'm fond of a bold pattern, so when I saw this, it was love at first sight.

Drool

It's a rayon, which only added to the allure as I want to get more experience of working with rayon. The plan is for a straight, 1950s/60s dress. Vogue 8875 (a 1955 reissue) is the current favourite, but I'm wondering if I should look for a slightly later style.

With a possible pattern choice

Obviously something from 1960 or later would have the advantage of tying in with my Vintage Pledge plan to move away from the 1940s and 1950s, which in turn would make me feel a little less guilty! Decisions, decisions.

4 comments:

  1. swoon! That is fabulous fabric! Keep in mind that rayon has a LOT of drape, so be sure to pick a project that can handle it (which might argue for a 1940s project, to be honest). Can't wait to see what you make with this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juliana, I'll bear that in mind.

      Delete
  2. That will be a seriously striking dress in that fabric! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! Sadly, it will be a while before I have the time to do anything with it.

      Delete