Sunday 28 January 2024

Rethinking a decade

I used to think that I wasn't a fan of any 1960s fashions, but I'm starting to realise that it's the later styles which I dislike. A-line and shift dresses do me no favours whatsoever - Butterick 4384 is going to be rehomed the next time I go to visit the friend who really likes it. Earlier sixties fashions however are another matter - for example Vogue 5215 has become a firm favourite in my wardrobe.

So with this in mind, when I spotted a January 1960 Vogue counter catalogue for sale, I bought it.

Sadly, the cover is a bit damaged

For this post, I'm just looking at the 'new releases' section of the catalogue, before the tabbed sections. It starts off promisingly.

Vogue 9818 - would make

There are some patterns which have been 'chosen' by the editors of women's magazines.

"Selected by the editors of Vogue Magazine"

Also selected by the Vogue editors

Vogue 9854 is described as having a "detachable yoke". I've come across some vintage patterns which make this claim, but turn out to have a piece which can be sewn in or unpicked as desired. Which is indeed detachable, but hardly straightforward.

Make the yoke matching or contrasting

Judging from the drawing of the yoke piece, however, this one is truly detachable.

Small circles indicate buttons or snaps

There are some colour coordinated double page spreads.

Harmony in brown and pink

While others are not. As with my 1940 Vogue catalogue, some of the patterns include a small schematic of the pieces, so you could attempt to draft your own version.

Pattern piece details for the truly confident

There are only two Vogue Paris Original designs featured.

1468, Guy Laroche

1469, Jacques Heim

Fitted dresses with short jackets appear to be very much in fashion.

Pattern on the right is "Chosen by the editors of Glamour Magazine"

I don’t really do frills, so Vogue 9872 fills me with horror. However if I came across a copy of the pattern, I would be tempted to make it up out of curiosity!

Frilled to bits

Statement sleeves also seem to be quite the thing.

You would never get a cardigan over that!

The drawing of 9857 view A is clearly based on the made-up version which appears on the cover.

Cover image, and more big sleeves

The schematic for Vogue 9866 seems a little unnecessary - perhaps it’s there to demonstrate just how simple the pattern is?

Only five pieces! One of which is a rectangle!

Of the tabbed sections, one in particular has caught my eye.

Mrs Exeter gets her own section

Expect a post about this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment