Sunday 22 May 2022

Stash update (it’s not good news!)

It's been a very tedious couple of weeks, but I'm finally on the mend. I've even managed a tiny bit of sewing. Just as well, really as fabric is coming in to the stash faster than it's leaving!

Although my trip to York the other week was mainly to attend the Festival of Vintage, I also squeezed in a few other things, including a trip to Gillies Fabrics. Bricks-and-mortar fabric shops are such rarities these days, that I always visit if I find one. No harm in looking, after all. Except, of course, it's never just looking - and this one was a treasure trove!

First purchase was this jaunty floral print viscose, with a short length of matching plain navy. I did have a pattern in mind for this, but when the yardage was measured out, it just left a short piece on the roll. Very little arm-twisting was needed to persuade me to take the full length, so I now need to find a pattern to use it all. It's very fine, so will need lining.

Pink!? Who even am I?

I also found this pretty cotton lawn in a tiny floral print which would make a perfect 1940s dress. And at the Festival of Vintage, I found a suitable pattern from 1946. I'm planning to make view 1, but with shorter sleeves. It's a half-size pattern, so I’ll be interested to see how this affects the fitting alterations I need to make.

Back to normal choices - phew!

Also at the Festival of Vintage, I found my last fabric purchase - this length of cotton with a 'jewel' print. It’s three yards long, but in keeping with the time, it's only 36"/90cm wide. That should be plenty for a late 50s/early 60s sheath dress, however.

It's a bit wild, but I love it

I've converted it to its 112cm wide equivalent on the Stashometer, as I do with everything on there, for consistency. Otherwise, the temptation would be to make up all the narrow fabrics (because, narrow fabric = longer yardages) first, and ignore the wider ones!

I couldn't believe that it's almost halfway through the year, and there was only one row in the 'completed' column. But then I remembered that there's a part-made coat hanging in my wardrobe, and I have made some non-clothing items. So in the interests of completeness/desperation, I have included the latter on the Stashometer, small though they are. Every little helps!

That's a long way in the red!

1 comment: